Being a mentor is as simple as being a friend. Mentoring involves making yourself available to support and advise someone when they need it, delivering that support in a way that makes sense to them, and always keeping that person’s best interests in mind.
Mentors come in all shapes and sizes. Take a minute to think about the best mentor you’ve ever had. This person can be your manager, a colleague, a teacher, a parent, a friend, a coach…. Anyone, who’s been a particularly excellent friend.
At some point in your life, and if you’re lucky, many times, you’re going to find yourself playing the role of a mentor to someone, somewhere. It can be both exciting and a little challenging.
January is National Mentoring Month and a time to celebrate mentoring and the positive effect it has on our youth. Our goals during this month are to:
- Raise awareness for mentoring.
- Recruit 15 individuals to mentor the youth on our waiting lists.
National Mentoring Month proclamation signings will take place January 6. Proclamation signings are an opportunity for you to join supporters of mentoring and officially recognize that January is National Mentoring Month. We really want YOU to come!
- 9:15 a.m. Howard County Board of Supervisors Room, Upper Level, Cresco Courthouse.
- 10.00 a.m. Winneshiek County’s Annex Building, near the Decorah Courthouse.
- 11:00 a.m. Allamakee County Board of Supervisors Room, Lower Level, Waukon Courthouse.
- 1:00 p.m. Delaware County Courthouse Board of Supervisors Room, First Floor.
National Mentoring Month is all about being a friend, making a difference, and getting involved. Get involved today by visiting the mentoring website and/or contacting your local mentoring coordinator.
For more information please contact:
Colinne McCann or Kathy Schwartzhoff
(Allamakee, Howard, Winneshiek)
563-387-1720 | email@example.com
Ellen Krogman (Delaware)
563-379-3454 | firstname.lastname@example.org