One of the most serious threats to our youth may be lurking on your shelves.
You have the power to reduce drug abuse.Over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription drug abuse is on the rise. Youth perceive OTC and prescription drugs as “safe” alternatives to other illicit drugs. This is untrue and poses an immediate threat to our communities. Helping Services is working hard to decrease this abuse by partnering with local pharmacies and businesses that sell these medications. It is with your help that we can educate sellers of these medications about the dangers associated with over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
So what is your part?Encourage your employees to take this free online training at www.helpingservices.org/otc. It will teach them the potential dangers of over-the-counter and prescription medications. Have ongoing discussions about where your medications are being placed within the store, and develop a plan to address concerns when a customer is buying too much medication. Together we can create safe and healthy communities free from over-the-counter and prescription drug abuse.
6 Things You’ll Learn from the Online Training
- Types of abused OTC and prescription drugs
- Potential side effects of drug misuse
- Best practices to set up and monitor medication sales in your store
- How to reduce consumer theft
- Your right to refuse a sale
- Responsibility to report suspicious activity
How can we help you?In addition to this online training, our staff can provide you and your employees these services to reduce youth access to over-the-counter and prescription drugs and prevent abuse:
- Employee and customer educational materials
- Workplace policy development trainings
- In-person over-the-counter and prescription drug trend trainings