Tobacco Abuse Prevention
Want to quit smoking? See Quitline Iowa (below)
According to the World Health Organization, by 2030, if current trends continue, smoking will kill one in every six people around the world, not to mention the financial toll that it takes.
FACT BOX...CLICK TO EXPAND: TOBACCO FACTS in NORTHEAST IOWA
- Tobacco causes more deaths in the United States than alcohol, AIDS, illegal drugs, car accidents, fires, murders and suicides.
- 18.9% of Iowa high school and 2.8% of middle school students smoke
- 14% of Iowa adults smoke
- In Iowa, 4,400 adults die each year from their own smoking
- 480 adult smokers die each year from exposure to secondhand smoke
- 7.5 million packs of cigarettes were bought or smoked by Iowa kids last year
1. Prevent the initiation of tobacco use by youth
2. Promote cessation among young people and adults
3. Reduce exposure to secondhand smoke
is a toll-free, statewide smoking cessation telephone counseling hotline promoted by Helping Services. Did you know that if you have plan, use medication, and work with a counselor, you can improve your chances of quitting by 800%?? Call (800) QUIT NOW or (800) 784-8669.
The county tobacco coalitions are committed to making changes in their community in order to improve the health of youth and adults and to increase awareness of the dangers of tobacco use and secondhand smoke.
Northeast Iowa Tobacco Coalitions:
- Allamakee County Tobacco-Free Coalition
- Delaware County Tobacco Free Partnership
- Fayette County Tobacco Coalition
- Howard County Tobacco-Free Coalition
- Winneshiek County Tobacco-Free Coalition
Helping Services' trained Community Prevention Specialists are available to assist businesses in creating workplace tobacco policies. They can provide guidance and samples of model workplace tobacco policies to help you in formulating one specific for your needs. For more information, please contact: email@example.com